Part 2: Error Identification
Directions: In questions 16-40 each sentence has four underlined words or phrases marked (A), (B), (C), and (D),
Choose the one word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct. Then, on your answer sheet find the number of the question and fill in the oval that corresponds to the letter of your answer choice.
Aspirin is recommend to manypeople for its
Ability to thin the blood.
The sentence should read, "Some people believe that human beings will never use up all the natural resources on earth." Therefore, you should choose answer (B).
Now begin work on the questions.
16. In 1931 Jane Addams was a Nobel Peace Prize recipient for she humanitarian achievements.
17. Even on the most careful prepared trip, problems will sometimes develop.
18. Manypeople say that California is a state of geographic remarkable diversity.
19. An uncultivated tes plant might grow about 30 feet height.
20. A galaxy, where may include billions of stars, is held together by gravitational attraction.
21. Rocks can be broken apart by water that seeps into the cracks and freeze in low temperatures.
22. Alexander Graham Bell was once a teacher who run a school for the deaf in Massachusetts.
23. Some fish use their sense of smell as a guide when return to a spawning site.
24. InQuebec, Canada, the flowing of the maple sap is one of the first signof spring.
25. Antique auctionsare getting more and more popular in the United States becauseincreasing public awareness of the value of investing in antiques.
1. It was Shirley Temple Black which represented her country in the United Nations and later became an ambassador.
2. The prices at chain stores are as reasonable, if not more reasonable, asthose at discount stores.
3.It isextremely important for an engineer to know to use a computer.
4. Historically there has been only two major factions in the Republican Party ـــthe liberals the conservatives.
5. Whitman wrote Leaves of Grass as a tribute to the Civil War soldiers who had laid on the battlefields and whom he had seen while serving as an army nurse.
6. One of the first and ultimately the most important purposeful of a reservoir was to control flooding.
7. The Chinese were the first and large ethnic group to workon the construction of the transcontinental railroad system.
8. The range of plant life on a mountainside is a results of differencesin temperature and precipitation at varying altitudes.
9. Even a professional psychologist may have difficulty talking calmand logically about his own problems.
10. The more the relative humidity reading rises, the worst the heat affectsus.
11. Because correlations are not causes, statistical data which areextremely easy to misuse.
12. Lectures for the week of March 22 ــ26 will include the following: The Causes of the Civil War,
The Economy of the South, Battle Strategies, and The Assassinate Lincoln.
13. Despite of many attempts to introduce a universal language. Notably Esperanto and Idiom Neutral,
The effort has met with very little success.
14. As every other nation, the United States used to define itsunit of currency, the dollar, in terms of the gold standard.
15. It is necessary that one met with a judge before signing the final papers for a divorce.
16. Until recently, women were forbidden by law from owningproperty.
17. The most common form of treatment it is mass inoculation and chlorination of water sources.
18. People with exceptionally high intelligence quotients may not be the best employees since they become bored of their work unless the job is constantly changing.
19. Neither the mathematics department nor the biology department at State University requires that the students must write a thesis in order to graduate with a master's degree.
20. The oxygen contents of Mars is not sufficient enough to supportlife as we know it.
21. Students in the United States often support themselves bybabysitting, working in restaurants, or they drive taxicabs.
22. Those of us who have a family history of heart disease should makeyearly appointments with their doctors.
23. Although federal support for basic research programs are muchless than it was ten years ago, more funds are now available from the National Science Foundation.
24. Living in New York, apartments cost more to rent than they do in other, smaller cities.
25. This new model not only saves time but also energy by operatingon two batteries instead of four.